Silver has been known to mankind since ancient times. It is used to make coins, cutlery, jewelry and other items.
However, over time, a dark patina appears on the surface of the silver. In this article we will look at the basic ways that will help you remove plaque from the metal and return it to its original appearance.
All life hacking can be used at home, so if you need to quickly and effectively clean silver, read to the end.
But first, a few important points.
Why does silver darken?
It has long been established that silver fades in the case when it reacts with various elements.
Here are the most common reasons why silver is darker:
- Increased humidity in the room;
- Contact with sweat;
- Low quality metal;
- Interaction with food, cosmetics, household chemicals, etc .;
- Incorrect storage.
How to determine the best way to clean silver
To answer this question, three things should be considered:
- The quality of the product;
- Pollution level;
- The presence of other elements (gold, stones, etc.).
Before you begin to clean silver should be remembered that the use of any aggressive means is appropriate only for things that are completely composed of silver.
If there are stones or some kind of coating on this or that object, then it is wiser to use sparing means. Cleaning any miniature jewelry is best left to a specialist.
Today you can buy a variety of cleaning agents for silver. They can be liquid or pasty.
In the process of cleaning silver should avoid hard brushes or sponges, so as not to damage the product.
How to clean silver at home
First of all, prepare a soap solution and wash silver items in it to get rid of grease and other contaminants.
Then rinse the silverware in the water and wait until it dries.
Toothpaste and powder
The powder must be diluted with water to obtain a thick mass. There is no need to prepare anything for toothpaste, the main thing is that it does not have any impurities.
This mass should be applied to the napkin and begin processing silver objects with it. It is very important to make movements in one direction and in a straight line.
At the end of the whole procedure, it is worth washing the metal with clean water and polishing it with a suitable cloth.
The above method can not be considered delicate, so it should be used for things of silver that are not of great value.
With soda you can easily and accurately clean the silver. To do this, dilute the soda with water to a mushy state and apply it to silver objects.
After 10-15 minutes, you need to wash off the mass with water and wipe dry with a napkin.
More carefully clean the silver things will be using soda solution. To do this you will need:
- Boil a glass of water, add about 20 g of soda into it and stir everything;
- If you use non-aluminum cookware, then you should put a piece of foil on the bottom of the container;
- Then you need to put the jewelry in a hot solution and wait 15-20 minutes.
Citric and other acids
Here's another option for cleaning silver from browning with citric acid.
- Take a half-liter container and add 100 g of acid to it;
- Put the container in a water bath, after putting some copper object inside it;
- When the solution begins to boil, it is necessary to put silver accessories in it for 15-20 minutes.
If the decoration is not very large and dirty, it is enough to wipe it with a rag dipped in vinegar. You can also use 10% citric acid solution.
An interesting fact is that the most common salt can also give a shining look to silver. To do this, do the following:
- In one liter of hot water, 50 g of salt and 20 g of tartar should be dissolved. Silver should be placed in the resulting liquid and wait 15-20 minutes.
- 1 liter of water should be poured into the aluminum container. When it starts to boil, 20 g of salt, soda and some detergent should be added. After thorough mixing, silver objects should be put inside the vessel and boiled for half an hour.
How to quickly and effectively clean silver
Not everyone knows that silver can be quickly and efficiently cleaned with the help of such a simple means as ammonia.
To do this, wipe the metal surface with a swab moistened with it. If the thing is too dark, then in this case it should be placed in a 10% solution of ammonia and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
In addition, silver can be cleaned in the following ways:
- Stir water, ammonia and tooth powder in the ratio of 5: 2: 1. Then the resulting mass to process the metal. After 15 minutes rinse the product in water;
- Mix ammonia with hydrogen peroxide in the same proportions. Silver should be dropped into the resulting liquid and wait 15 minutes;
- Pour some ammonia into tooth powder and form a thick mass. Then, using a soft cloth, apply this composition to silver.
How to clean silver from black
We offer you to get acquainted with some other ways that will allow you to clean the silver at home with high quality.
- Pour into the tank any carbonated drink (Сoca-Сola, Sprite, etc.), which contains phosphoric acid. Then you should put the silverware inside the container and boil for 10 minutes.
- Take the laundry detergent and dilute it with water to form a thick mass. Put the silver item in there and boil for 10 minutes.
- Spray silver on window cleaner and gently wipe it with a napkin.
How to clean silver objects with stones, engraved or gilded
If silver products have different recesses, then it is more correct to use a soft bristled brush. It can be dipped in liquid ammonia or some other means, after which you can begin to remove contamination with smooth movements.
An alternative to a toothbrush can serve as an ordinary ear stick.
Also, contamination can be removed by soaking silver products in one of the following solutions:
- In liquid laundry soap, add 5-10 drops of ammonia and process silver.
- Add in a glass of water one Art. spoon of vinegar or ammonia and clean this product composition.
An interesting fact is that these same methods are well suited for gilded objects. Remember that after each procedure, the metal should be thoroughly washed with water.
It is curious that you can clean the jewelry with lipstick. It is necessary to lubricate the product, and then start to wipe it with a flannel cloth.
Cleaning tips for blackened silver
- In 1 liter of water add art. spoon of soda and 20 g of soap. In the resulting liquid should lower the decoration for 20 minutes.
- Peel and cut the raw potatoes, put it in water and put the silver in there for 3 hours.
General rules for cleaning silver
In order to properly clean the silver, you need to follow the general rules that are listed below.
- It is necessary to regularly wash silverware.
- Avoid abrasive materials and use only benign products.
- Silver 925 samples can be cleaned only by special means, since the metal can lose its original appearance.
- It is allowed to clean radioed metal only with a soft cloth or tampons, otherwise it will be scratched.
- If you want to give the product shine, then they should be treated with lemon juice and hot water.
- Drying silver is desirable on paper napkins.
- Silver accessories are recommended to polish with flannel, wool or suede cloth.
- Experts advise you not to wear silver jewelry after you have cleaned them for 3 days, until they form a natural protective layer.
How to store silver
Finally, we give key tips on how to store silver. And although this cannot be an absolute guarantee of the preservation of the appearance of silver products, we still strongly recommend holding them.
- Silver items must be kept in closed containers and at minimum humidity. If you are not going to use any silver item for a long time, then you should wash it with soapy water and wrap it in foil or flannel.
- It is unacceptable that silver was lying next to medicines, food, cosmetics, household chemicals, etc.
- Before you go to the beach, take a shower or go to the bath, it is advisable to take off your silverware.
- If silver gets wet, be sure to wipe it dry with a napkin or soft cloth.
With proper care for silver, it will always look good. We hope that our advice will help you clean the silver and give it shine.