Interesting dinosaur facts - This is a brilliant opportunity to plunge into the past and learn about the life of prehistoric creatures. The situation today is known about more than a thousand species of these creatures, dividing into birds and lizards.
In this article we have prepared for you the most interesting facts about dinosaurs.
19 interesting facts about dinosaurs
- The concept of "dinosaur" was introduced by the British scientist Richard Owen to describe the remains of ancient dinosaurs, striking in their size.
- The largest dinosaur is considered - seismus. He ate vegetable food and had a long neck.
- But the heaviest dinosaur was titanosaur. According to scientists, its weight could reach 80 tons.
- An interesting fact is that the huge bones, which the ancient Greeks sometimes stumbled upon, were considered in Antiquity to be the remains of characters from the era of the Trojan War.
- The closest relative of dinosaurs living in our time is the crocodile.
- Kompsognat is the smallest dinosaur found. Experts believe that its weight did not exceed 3 kg.
- Today, many people believe that the ichthyosaur, better known as the Loch Ness Monster, still lives in the Scottish Loch Ness. However, researchers argue that this story is nothing more than a myth.
- Did you know that the direct descendants of dinosaurs are birds (see interesting facts about birds)?
- And the American state of Colorado is the City of Dinosaurs, all the streets of which are named after various types of dinosaurs.
- Many scientists claim that about a third of the dinosaur species described have never really existed.
- Since the discovery of the first dinosaur, their remains have been found on all continents, including Antarctica.
- An interesting fact is that in ancient China, the bones of dinosaurs were mistaken for the bones of dragons, actively using them in medicine.
- The blue whale, whose weight can reach 170 tons, is obviously larger than any dinosaur ever living.
- Brachiosaurus - the longest dinosaurs known to date. The length of their body could reach 30 m.
- An interesting fact is that on the coat of arms of the Russian city of Kotlas (Arkhangelsk region) a dinosaur is depicted.
- The most armored dinosaur is ankylosaurus. In addition to bone armor, he had a powerful tail at the end of which a bone mace covered with spikes was located.
- Scientists suggest that dinosaur brains were comparable in size to walnuts.
- Did you know that tyrannosaurs had 15 centimeters teeth?
- At the beginning of the 21st century, a group of American and Argentine scientists presented evidence that some dinosaurs arranged steam heating of egg clutches, laying them near geothermal sources.